Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Courses: Strategic Intelligence

Of the two courses required for this sequence, the second is Strategic Intelligence. I've found intelligence fascinating for a number of years, and I'm eager to work with the professor - let's call him "E" - and the rest of the class to learn how intelligence impacts strategy and the strategic level of international relations.

As I mentioned previously, these are the textbooks that have been assigned for Strategic Intelligence:

  • Christopher Andrew, Richard J. Aldrich, and Wesley K. Wark: Secret Intelligence: A Reader
  • Michael Herman: Intelligence Power in Peace and War
  • Peter Gill and Mark Phythian: Intelligence in an Insecure World
  • John Keegan: Intelligence in War

    That's nearly seventeen hundred pages. That's a lot of reading, and that's only the vaguely prescribed reading - there were more suggested books. I may try to be selective with what I actually read, because honestly, that's probably physically impossible to read in the time allotted.

    E is quite enthusiastic about intelligence, spies, espionage, and a variety of other related topics. One of the fun results of this is that he's well versed in a variety of anecdotes from the history of intelligence operations. I may relate a couple of them as I'm able.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment