Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Island Paradise: Earl's Palace, Birsay

When I was done at Orkney Brewery, I decided to hang a left onto the main road, and it was about that time that the number one song of the year played on the radio.



That's right, folks: I claim to be the only blog post in the history of the world to combine Gangnam Style with Orkney. At any rate, one of the places where Captain John took me in 2004 was the Earl Robert's Palace in Birsay. Birsay is a tiny village on the west coast of the Orkney Mainland. Since I was already in the neighborhood, I decided to drive my intrepid chariot back to Birsay for another look.

You know what? I didn't actually take many pictures of the palace itself. I'd taken a bunch of them back in 2004, and it was extremely muddy, and I thought, "You know what? I don't need to take a bunch of pictures here." So, I didn't. If you're really curious about the Earl Robert's Palace in Birsay, you can visit the appropriate page at OrkneyJar, or you can ask me for the link to my original pictures.

The one picture I felt compelled to take was a recreation of one of my favorite pictures from that trip: my boots on this black grating over what I assume was once the palace well, visible here. I also got a great shot of an iconic red phone box.


From there, it was off to see the Kitchener Memorial, and that shall be the subject of the next installment of Island Paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment