Sunday, February 17, 2013

I'm Quiet Because I'm Busy

Regular readers of the Operation Highlander blog will have noticed that I've been a bit light on posting during the last week or two. I've reached the point of running short on pre-written material. I've mentioned previously that CN Odin and I are working on an article for Small Wars Journal. I've also been working on the memorandum for the presentation that CN Slapshot and I will give on Persian Gulf security - I posted the draft section on Bahrain a couple of days ago, and I'll post a few more in the next couple of weeks. So, I've been busy.

Our in-class essay (mid-term exam) for Global Security Issues is on Wednesday morning, so in addition to these other projects, I've begun prepping for that requirement as well. We have the option of writing on either of the following topics:

1. What has impacted more on the condition of global security in modern times: the collapse of the Berlin Wall in 1989 or the destruction of the World Trade Center in 2001?

2. Assess the coherence and efficacy of the global strategy of the United States since 2001.
Most of my peers are apparently writing on Question #1, so just to be ornery, I've decided to write on Question #2. Since I've been working on other stuff the last few days, I have a lot to review before I sit down to write the essay. Here are some of the items I'll be reviewing in part or in their entirety:

  • Wikipedia: National Security Strategy
  • Wikipedia: National Military Strategy
  • Wikipedia: Quadrennial Defense Review
  • "Gulliver" at Ink Spots: The 2010 National Security Strategy sucks, and I'm gonna tell you why
  • Spencer Ackerman: The Designed-In Failures of Pentagon Strategy
  • "Gulliver" at Ink Spots: How the dialogue about "progressive national security strategy" is destructive both to progressives and national security
  • "Gulliver" at Ink Spots: Does the 2011 National Military Strategy fail to satisfy the requirements of U.S. law?
  • CNAS Andrew "Abu Muqawama" Exum: Why the QDR Should Not Mention Cost (February 2014 Update: CNAS has since moved the link here)
  • "Gulliver" at Ink Spots: Clearing up some misconceptions about the QDR and national strategy formulation
  • CNAS Andrew "Abu Muqawama" Exum: Looking to Trim the Defense Budget? Start with the QDR. (February 2014 Update: CNAS has since moved the link here)
  • "Gulliver" at Ink Spots: Finding the hidden strategy in yet another non-strategic "strategy"
  • CNAS Andrew "Abu Muqawama" Exum: On the Defense Strategic Guidance (February 2014 Update: CNAS has since moved the link here)
  • 2008 National Defense Strategy
  • 2010 National Security Strategy
  • 2011 National Military Strategy
  • 2010 Quadrennial Defense Review
  • Sustaining U.S. Global Leadership: Priorities for 21st Century Defense

    I also need to review some of Sloan to refresh on some of the specifics of "shock and awe" and the continuing influence of the so-called "Revolution in Military Affairs"/Transformation.

    And that's just for GSI. At some point, probably Monday, I need to put in at least a bit of time reviewing the 2010 Nuclear Posture Review, as well as the seminar question sheet for our 09:00 seminar/tutorial/recitation on American nuclear strategy, and the slide deck for our 14:00 lecture on Russian nuclear strategy. So, if I'm a bit quiet during the course of the next few days, that's why: I have a lot on my plate at the moment.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment