Thursday, March 7, 2013

Stuff I've Been Reading Lately

I have a lot - a lot of stuff to read this semester. If it's a PDF, I've probably put it on my Kindle at some point in the last few weeks. There's no possible way that I can read all of this, but I'm going to give it the good old college try. Here's what's on the list so far.

First, there's American grand strategy (and I use the term loosely - if I can get enough time, I'll write that in-class essay up into a blog post and go into more detail on that). Here are the most recent editions of the documents that inform American grand strategy:

American Grand Strategy:
  • 2010 National Security Strategy
  • 2010 Quadrennial Defense Review
  • 2008 National Defense Strategy
  • 2011 National Military Strategy

    In the last sixteen months, there have been several major policy papers released to guidea shift in American grand strategy. There have also been plenty of commentaries. So, being a strategist-in-training, I need to read it.

    American Grand Strategy Adjustment:
  • CNAS - Hard Choices
  • Sustaining US Global Leadership
  • Strategic Agility
  • The New US Strategy, the FY2013 Defense Budget, Sequestration, and the Growing Strategy-Reality Gap
  • Congress and the New Pacific Strategy – Setting Policy by Acquisition

    Oh, yeah, and I've got SND, so that means I have plenty of additional reading specifically for that:

    Strategic Nuclear Doctrine:
  • 2010 Nuclear Posture Review Report
  • CSIS - Nuclear Trade Controls
  • Albert Wohlstetter - The Delicate Balance of Terror
  • Albert Wohlstetter - Selection and Use of Strategic Air Bases
  • Bernard Brodie - Strategy as a Science
  • Bernard Brodie - The Anatomy of Deterrence
  • Bernard Brodie - Strategy in the Missile Age

    Researching for and writing that in-class essay, and re-reading part of Sloan also reminded me of a lot of documents and concepts from my brief naval career years and years ago. I have no legitimate reason to read all of this right now, but I sure want to try... Because, who knows? Maybe I'll wind up analyzing naval strategy when I grow up. Anyway...

    1990's and 21st Century Naval Operational Strategy:
  • From The Sea
  • Forward From the Sea
  • General Charles Krulak - The Strategic Corporal: Leadership in the Three Block War
  • Expeditionary Maneuver Warfare
  • MCCP 1 Operational Maneuver from the Sea
  • Operational Maneuver from the Sea
  • Sea Power 21

    Oh, yeah, and there's a bunch of additional strategy stuff that I'd like to read... At some point... Maybe this semester... ? Probably not.

    Miscellaneous Strategy:
  • USJFCOM EBO Memo
  • Caesar - The Gallic Wars
  • Colin S. Gray - How Has War Changed Since the End of the Cold War
  • Colin S. Gray - Strategy and History - Essays on Theory and Practice
  • Colin S. Gray - The 21st Century Security Environment and the Future of War
  • Colin S. Gray - Concept, Failure, COIN, Counterinsurgency, and Strategic Theory
  • Machiavelli - The Prince
  • Thucydides - The Peloponnesian War

    As I've noted, I'm doing my group presentation for GSI on the GCC/PSF, so I probably ought to get up to speed on that particular topic. Or, you know... Further up to speed?

    Gulf Cooperative Council/Peninsular Shield Force:
  • Saudi Arabia and Qatar in a Time of Revolution
  • Peninsular Shield Force
  • CNAS - Atomic Kingdom
  • 121224 GCC and New Challenges Gulf Security
  • Kuwait - Security, Reform, and U.S. Policy
  • Gulf Roundtable - Iran's Regional Strategy
  • Ismail Khan, Herat, and Iranian Influence

    I'm probably going to do my dissertation on the Dhofar Rebellion, and CN Odin and I are still putting one foot in front of the other on our journal article, which means plenty of reference material on Dhofar, Algeria, and counterinsurgency.

    Oman/Dhofar Rebellion/Counterinsurgency:
  • British Army Field Manual Vol 1 Part 10 Countering Insurgency
  • Country Reports on Terrorism
  • David Galula - Counterinsurgency Warfare
  • David Galula - Pacification in Algeria 1956-1958
  • TE Lawrence - Seven Pillars of Wisdom
  • RAND - Oman and the World
  • Oman - Reform, Security, and U.S. Policy
  • Small Wars Journal - Oman 1965-1976
  • Small Wars Journal - Language, Culture, and Army Culture - Failing Transformation - 2012-03-20
  • FM 3-07 Stability Operations
  • FM 3-24 MCWP 3-33.5 Counterinsurgency
  • FM 90-3 FMFM 7-27 Desert Operations
  • FMFRP 0-53 Afoot in the Desert
  • FMFRP 12-25 The Guerrilla and How to Fight Him
  • RAND Intelligence Preparation of the Battlefield for Urban Operations

    Oh, and how 'bout some recreational stuff? 'Cause, y'know... I totally have plenty of time for that.

    Miscellaneous Stuff:
  • Arthur C. Clarke's The Sentinel
  • FM 3-25.26 Map Reading and Land Navigation
  • Ranger School Prep
  • special-operations-nutrition-guide
  • naval-special-warfare-injury-prevention-guide
  • naval-special-warfare-physical-training-guide
  • Orkneyinga Saga

    Ugh. And these are just the PDFs. And this doesn't include the various military risk management field manuals I'll have to start reviewing at some point. Or the traditional/dead tree books. Basically, I have no justification to blog, or to have a social life, or to sleep, or... Ehhhhh, it's all about risk management, time management, and prioritization. On the plus side, since it's on my Kindle, I can read it anywhere, and I can also read the various non-time-sensitive bits once the semester is over.

    As usual, I have my hands full.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment