Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Island Paradise: Message in a Bottle

A few years ago, the BBC did a really neat audio documentary entitled Message in a Bottle - not to be confused with the evergreen song by Sting and the Police, or the Nicholas Sparks novel and film, all of which share the same name. The documentary focused on Orkney, and discussed other locations in the Faroe Islands, Shetland, and Scotland. Normally, that kind of documentary isn't really my thing, but this one really held my interest, and I actually keep it on my mp3 player at all times. Now that I know how to embed mp3s into the blog, I thought I'd share it with you folks.

Play
One of the folks they interview in the documentary is a guy named Rory Auskerry. I've never had any personal contact with Rory, and Rory's never heard of me at all (it will be interesting if he finds me through this post!), but we have a mutual acquaintance. Rory grew up on an island called Auskerry, which is one of the islands in the Orkney archipelago. As you can see here, there's nothing there - two things that are, for some reason, labeled in Russian, and that's it.

Anyway, enjoy the documentary. I know I have, on several different occasions. And, for anyone who's curious, the other two BBC documentaries I always keep on my mp3 player, they're The Generals Debate Iraq and The Wireless World of Gerry Wells. The first is very serious and informative, while the second is lighter, like Message in a Bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment