Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Around Aberdeen: Non Sibi, Sed Patriae Mosaic

A very long time ago, when I was undergoing a particular flavor of military leadership training, one of the topics we discussed fell under the heading of "Non Sibi, Sed Patriae" - "Not For Myself, but For my Country". I've always tried to take that motto to heart. In a little corner of the University of Aberdeen, there's a mosaic that includes the phrase, and it's near what appears to pass for a campus war memorial.

I'm tempted to look my old skipper up - as of a few years ago, I knew where he was working - and send him a copy of the picture. I ought to get on that.

3 comments:

  1. Tom,

    No time like the present - You should get on it then, Laddy!

    Sam-Wise

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI, "Non Sibi, Sed Patriae" was also the motto of the USS Cushing (DD-985).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole area is a memorial garden to the three McRobert Brothers, Sir Alasdair, Sir Ian and Sir Roderick, who were all killed in aircraft crashes, the last two during WWII. It was built in their memory by their mother, hence why its called the Lady McRobert Memorial Garden.

    ReplyDelete